Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

k6xt k6xt at arrl.net
Wed Sep 19 10:52:20 EDT 2012

Tom, "easily" is a very parochial east coast point of view. Maybe from
GA. Probably not in one lifetime from west of the Mississippi.

Having noted that, let me go on to say the discussion has morphed from
its origin of "where to put digi modes" to "whether digi modes should be
on [pick a band]". I'll continue to insist that 1835-40 is a really
crummy choice for digimodes on 160. I'll also insist digimodes have
every right to be on [pick a band] where its legal. One day in the not
so distant future as I get even more cantankerous than at present I may
be faced with that bent wire antenna in an old folks home, where I
already qualify age wise. I want the capability to work DX on 160 after
the hearing apparatus fails completely. A read it off the screen
digimode may be just the answer.

A word about transmitter adjustment. Separate from tx adjustment is the
issue of receiver quality. I usually use a K3 which doesn't have many
receiver issues. When K3 is out of service the spare is an IC706 which,
by comparison, has lots of receiver problems. IMO receiver issues cause
just as many problems on some digimodes as does tx adjustment - and many
folks with the bent wire ant have its rig equivalent on the operating
table. Is that bad? Of course not. Whether by choice or necessity we run
what we brung. I'll guess that few have the interest, skill or equipment
to make audio tx adjustments independent of the software IMD meter.
We're stuck with it. Better to be imperfectly in the ballpark than to
have no idea.

73 Art K6XT~~
Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiasm.
ARRL, GMCC, CW OPS, NAQCC
ARRL TA