Topband: The use of digital modes on 160 metres

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Wed Sep 19 10:58:32 EDT 2012

> For the record, I have tried JT65 and other digital modes. I'm not opposed
> to them, but they are not for me. To each their own, of course, but I
> would rather watch paint dry than work digital modes. For me it takes the
> fun and sense of personal achievement out of operating.

It appears to me, if SM2CEW is correct, these are not QSO's at all.

"As we see, in JT65 things are different. The software has significant
limitations because the
Deep Search module can never decode unknown callsigns or locators.
Everything must be
known in advance and presented to the CPU. The Deep Search decoder is
looking for
fragments of the 72 bit long message that the other station is transmitting
to compare with the
known data already present on the computer. When there is a probability of a
match to these
received fragments, the calls and a locator is printed in full on the
computer screen. During
this Deep Search process, the computer may not even have copied half of one
callsign to
perform the guessing. Two complete calls are at least 56 bits long, but in
Deep Search 14 bits
or less are required to produce full calls on the screen. This means that
25% or less of the
original message is actually required to be received via the radio. The
operator is unaware of
this and is lead to believe that all information has been recieved."

They apparently do give users the perception of being a QSO. I wonder why
the ARRL even counts them at all?

73 Tom