Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Fri Sep 21 02:38:22 EDT 2012

On 9/20/2012 2:55 PM, wa3mej at comcast.net wrote:
> Does anyone have any real world experience with these dipoles?

Not on Topband, but I rigged a vertical dipole for 40M in one of my tall
redwoods with the top insulator up about 100 ft.  It worked, but not
very well, not nearly as well as the horizontal dipoles at the same height.

If I had ONLY a single skyhook for an antenna that needed to work ABOVE
160, I would use it to hang either a traditional vertical over radials,
or an inverted Vee. On 160, it would definitely be a vertical over radials.

BTW -- a half wave dipole for 160M is about 260 ft.

73, Jim K9YC