Topband: Vertical dipoles in the real world

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Sep 21 13:31:48 EDT 2012

In the early 60's I had a full size 40M vertical on top of a 70' pine tree
with a bunch ....maybe 8-10...of radials tossed over the branches and
weighted with lead fishing sinkers.
It was a superb DX antenna compared to a dipole about 40' high.

Its only fault is that it heard so well it turned the Drake 2B's front end
to mush. Thats when I bought a used 75A4 and rebuilt it at work to be near
bullet proof and still use it when the going gets tough on 160 CW.

Carl
KM1H