Topband: Ground Screens - Another Small Space Option

ZR zr at jeremy.mv.com
Mon Sep 24 22:07:03 EDT 2012

I got the idea of the mesh at work from a Tech Class engineer but dont
remember him referencing HRM. This was in the mid 80's and I was complaining
about the poor performance of a shunt fed 100' tower with 10/15/20 4el yagis
for top loading and 60 radials of 60-130' or so.

Since chicken wire is only twisted, thin, and very cheap, I decided its
utility would be very short lived and went with the 2X4" rabbit wire which
is welded, hot dip galvanized and plastic coated. Quite expensive (no China
brands) but I found 5 4x50' reels in the next town in the local "Want
Advertiser" that had been used less than a year and was a fraction the cost.

When I moved here it came with me and its been rolled up in the woods since
1989, still looking fine. I went with elevated radials instead for the 2
element 1/4 waves.

Carl
KM1H