Topband: Ground Screens - Another Small Space Option

PaulKB8N at aol.com PaulKB8N at aol.com
Tue Sep 25 16:02:04 EDT 2012

In a message dated 9/25/2012 2:38:58 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
jim at audiosystemsgroup.com writes:

On  9/25/2012 11:02 AM, Howard K2HK wrote:
> Rob Sherwood was once a strong  advocate of chicken wire and has run many
tests. Perhaps he might chime in  here with some comments.

Rob is NC0B. I cited his work in my first post  on this.

73, Jim  K9YC

UR RST IS  ... ... ..9 QSB QSB - hw? BK
When discussing small screens, I am reminded of Jim, W5JAW's very small
vertical just above a ground "screen".  As I recall, it was installed above  a
metal drainage pan that was just a few feet below his deck, and measured
about 16x4' and served as his counterpoise.

Jim put up a Tee vertical that was only 8' tall with a single wire top hat
that spanned the length of the deck.  Encouraged by working all states in
ARRL 160 (I believe) he began pursuing DXCC and was well on his way when he
decided to raise the height of the vertical to a lofty 12', which no doubt
hastened his completion the award.

Now Jim is a great operator, but I also believe that there are still many
things to learn about small antennas on top band.  Standing on Jim's  deck,
I was in disbelief that I could touch the top of the Tee.   If Jim had
proposed to install that antenna to this forum, what kind of  reception would he
have received from the "experts"?

Paul, K5AF