Topband: Short radials?

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Sep 27 15:25:25 EDT 2012

> It's important to note that this data is for AM broadcast towers, which in
> the time frame when this work was done, were mostly a quarter wave tall to
> 5/8 wave tall.  >

We should look at the data and not assume. The original paper is called
"Ground Systems as a factor in Antenna System Efficiency" and based on a
study for RCA corporation. It includes measurements of screened and
unscreened systems, and concluded screens offer no additional advantage.

I'm pretty sure I have the original papers around here in a box someplace.
The B L and E data is for various heights from very short heights up to 90
degrees tall, with a variety of ground systems.

Very few AM BC towers are 5/8th wave. Many are shorter than 1/4 wave, and
most are actually someplace around 1/4 wave tall.

Richard suggested one of the best sources for conventional radial system
information on radiators less than 90 degrees tall. The graphs he posted are
for radiators from a few degrees to 90 degrees tall.