Topband: Prince Edward and Marion Islands, ZS8

Raoul Coetzee raoulcoetzee at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 3 02:38:15 EDT 2013

I managed to work David on 160m ssb, it is sort of in my backyard. But even then, the qso was not easy. I gave him a CW key before he left
but I doubt if he will try to use it.
There are always a team on Marion Island but since about four years ago,
they are not allowed to add any more antennas than the (dummy loaded) wide band dipole.
The greenies that go to the island consider the bird life of more value than antennas.
So Marion will be lost to the world on low bands for a long time unless permission is granted to a proper dxpedition.
That Amateurs that are there, are working team members and with other duties too.
It is not a dxpedition as such.

Kind regards,
Raoul ZS1REC