Topband: tree losses

Rudy Severns rseverns at gmail.com
Sun Aug 4 17:39:52 EDT 2013

Tom's correct, the issue is not "resonance" but rather what, if anything,
happens when you have a so-so conductor/insulator (a tree) in the near-field
and/or further out.  Do the losses matter?

Performing a definitive set of experiments would be a serious undertaking.
I've fiddled around a bit but not much more than the tree conductivity work
mentioned earlier.

At this point I'm an agnostic: we really don't have good data.  There are a
number of Vietnam era papers on trees as antennas and propagation through
jungle but most of that was at frequencies well above 160m.

Here's a challenge for experimenters that'll keep you busy and out of the
bars.

73, Rudy N6LF