Topband: The Beverage Antenna Handbook

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Mon Aug 5 10:54:06 EDT 2013

On 2013-08-05, at 10:45 AM, Bob Cutter wrote:

> I have an excellent copy of this 1977 classic by Victor A. Misek, W1WCR.
>
> $25.00 shipped in the US. Contact me off list.

Hi Bob,

It's a very good book, bar none, but Vic's insistence upon running a ground-mounted parallel ground wire beneath the Beverage antenna itself runs counter to the theory that a poorly conducting soil at he base of the antenna is the very key to the design's success (hence the reportedly poor performance of Beverages erected at the sea shore).

The parallel ground wire would effectively negate the resistance of the earth below the Beverage, in Vic's designs...

I'm surprised that more Hams haven't made this same observation. I believe it was Tom (W8JI) who first noted this to me several years ago, and it made sense at the time...indeed, still does, to-day.

~73~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ