Topband: RX antenna transformer winding (pure resistance transformation issues)

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Tue Aug 20 16:38:12 EDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 20, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Tom W8JI <w8ji at w8ji.com> wrote:

>  The ARRL in some publications, for example, teaches us toroids are
> "self-shielding". In fact, many toroidal cores have significant flux
> leakage.

That is for sure. I was following a thread in an SWL or AM BCB group a few
months ago, where someone (right or wrong) was recommending a toroid as an
antenna in lieu of a ferrite rod with wire wrapped on it. The point is that
the toroid was evidently doing a fair job of picking up signals! If it were
self-shielding, that wouldn't happen.

There is a great deal of stuff going on in a transformer.

You said a mouthful. I sure wish I understood more about that subject. I
wrote Fair-Rite for some info over a year ago and they never replied. (for
whatever reason). I need to learn some more basics that I don't presently
understand.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com