Topband: RX antenna transformer winding (pure resistance transformation issues)

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue Aug 20 19:15:22 EDT 2013

On 8/20/2013 1:00 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:
> By squeezing or spreading turns to change mutual coupling between
> turns, a T157-2 core can have almost 2:1 impedance shift! That tells
> us it has considerable flux leakage.

So-called "self-shielding" and it's inverse,  leakage flux, also depend
on permeability, which in turn depends on the material and the frequency
of interest. Fair-Rite data sheets for their materials clearly show the
variation of permeability with frequency.

And when we squeeze or spread turns we are also changing stray C of the
winding.

73, Jim K9YC