Topband: Radials in the pond..?

w4buw at aol.com w4buw at aol.com
Wed Aug 21 12:51:58 EDT 2013

HI, RANDY...  TOM, W8JI, HAS GIVEN YOU SOME GOOD INPUTS.  WHAT YOU DO WITH HALF A DOZEN OR SO OF THE RADIAL ENDS PROBABLY WON'T RESULT IN ANYTHING MEASURABLE.

I THINK IT IS GREAT THAT YOU HAVE THE REAL ESTATE FOR THE INVERTED L AND GROUND PLANE RADIAL SYSTEM YOU DESCRIBE.  YOU PROBABLY ARE AWARE THAT WITH THE 60 PROPOSED RADIALS @ 120 FT, THAT IS 7200+ FT OF RADIAL WIRE.  THERE OF COURSE IS SOME DIFFERENCE AS RADIALS ARE ADDED, HOWEVER YOU REACH A POINT OF DIMINISHING RETURNS, WHICH FEW WISH TO ADDRESS.  IN ADDITION, THERE IS ALSO THE OPTION OF NOT HAVING 1/4 WAVELENGTH RADIALS FOR THE ENTIRE SYSTEM, BUT APPLYING SOME OF THE WIRE TO SHORTER RADIALS TO ACCOMMODATE THE RETURN CURRENT DENSITY THAT INCREASES AS YOU APPROACH THE BASE OF THE ANTENNA (FEED POINT)...  I DON'T REMEMBER WHERE THE INFO IS, BUT THERE HAVE BEEN ARTICLES WHICH EVALUATE THE MOST EFFICIENT APPLICATION OF A GIVEN AMOUNT OF RADIAL WIRE.  SAME APPLIES TO NUMBER OF RADIALS AS COMPARED TO EFFICIENCY, ELEVATED RADIALS VS ON GROUND OR BURIED RADIAL SYSTEMS, ETC.

JUST GIVING YOU FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

GOOD LUCK WITH THE SYSTEM... 73 DE GEORGE, W4BUW