Topband: RX antenna transformer winding

Don Kirk wd8dsb at gmail.com
Wed Aug 21 13:11:09 EDT 2013

I've been using Radio Shack 30 AWG insulated wire (wire wrap wire) to wind
my binocular cores for RX antennas.  It comes in 50 foot spools, and you
can buy it in Blue, Red, or White.  This insulated wire has made winding of
my binocular cores a real pleasure.  No more worries about scratching the
enamel coating on the magnet wire that used to drive me nuts, and no more
messing around removing the enamel coating on the ends (I just use normal
cheap wire strippers to remove the insulation on the ends of the wires for
connection purposes).  Have never had problems using this wire without the
use of plastic/teflon sleeves (but I was also not attempting to keep the
primary and secondary turns separate (using sleeves) for purposes of
reduced capacitance between the windings in my applications)

Here are the Radio Shack part numbers for the wire I use :
Red : 278-501
White : 278-502
Blue : 278-503

Cost is $5.49 per spool.