Topband: Two 2:1 transformers to choose from!!

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Thu Aug 22 21:40:38 EDT 2013

> Since  you wound both transformers, why not try them both, and see if you
> can measure any difference? I' guessing you won't see much!

Unless the antenna system is starved for background noise, or the element is
in an end-fire phased array, it makes very little difference. The only real
effect of mismatch is signal and noise from the antenna drop equally.
Outside of a low sensitivity array, or an array that is phased end-fire,
until background drops with 10 dB of RX system noise floor, or preamp noise
floor, it really doesn't matter.

Two turns for 75 ohms is plenty for decent 100 kHz to 30 MHz performance.

Now if you hook up a Sky Buddy, it's a different problem.  :)

Tom