Topband: 160 meter activity.

Robert Briggs vk3zl at bigpond.com
Tue Aug 27 02:53:19 EDT 2013

Comments noted regarding signal reports on 160 meters..I often give dx
stations 599 reports, even plus 10 occasionally..The report is the
reading indicated on the S meter on my receiver...S meters are just a
relative indication of signal strength for the average ham and I doubt
anyone is really going to bother much about the fine technicality's of
day to day DX signal reports..

I have had years of experience listening to Topband noise and
signals...On the whole average signals on a day to day basis with the
band conducting will generally be above the qrn noise..If one is not
watching an S meter many signals are perfect Q5 readability...If one had
no meter to monitor signal strength then I guess that signal would be
called 599...However one way or the other it isn't a point to get all up
tight about...To go a bit further contester's and dxpedition's mostly
always give a 599 report regardless for quick convenience...Rarely hear
anyone complaining about that...

Bob..VK3ZL..