Topband: Spiderbeam mast UV Resistance?

Jim Garland 4cx250b at miamioh.edu
Thu Aug 29 08:14:05 EDT 2013

My 26m Spiderbeam mast is made of a shiny black fiberglass material. Have
users of this or the shorter Spiderbeam masts had experience with how well
the masts hold up to UV radiation? My QTH is at 7000 ft elevation and the
sun shines 330 days/year, so UV degradation is a big problem.  I've used
Krylon UV-resistant spray on my SteppIR yagi and it didn't seem to help at
all. I've heard that a water-based urethane paint works well, but don't know
if it would bond to the Spiderbeam mast. Also, the top of the mast is very
flexible and thin, so the weight of the paint might also be a problem. Any
suggestions?

73,

Jim W8ZR