Topband: How much ground independence?

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Wed Dec 11 11:38:48 EST 2013

I found it very educational when setting up my K9AY loop, to listen to the PT0S pileups. It's what convinced me that I had done it "right" in building the K9AY.

Remote direction selection on the antenna worked a lot like an astronomical blink comparator: hearing which signals disappear, and then looking up headings using qrz.com and other online tools, helped me accurately locate the "true" directionality of my antennas.

The blink comparator is a very powerful tool (I think I was one of the last generations of astronomy grad students to be trained using the original hardware version... I think most folks since my generation use image differencing algorithms on the digital capture) for the eye. Similarly switching direction instantaneously and hearing which signals drop away and which ones come up, is a very powerful tool for the ear.

I will see if I can get diversity reception and get similar advantages.

Tim N3QE