Topband: Insulator problems- Notr og caution

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Mon Dec 16 15:17:51 EST 2013

Non-UV-rated clear 0.118" Polycarbonate is visibly yellowed and mildly brittle after 5 years in my outdoors environment in the sunshine and other weather.

I think this is the plasticizers "drying out" but I'm sure a polymers chemist would correct me.

Even though it's "mildly brittle" none of my insulators broke in service. They only broke when I flexed them with physical force. I would say the stuff was still way more flexible than similar new acrylic.

I still have the original non-UV-rated polycarbonate up 80 feet in the sky, and last year I added some UV-rated polycarbonate spacers.

Tim N3QE