Topband: Insulator problems- Notr og caution

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Dec 16 16:08:48 EST 2013

I don't want to belabor this, because I think Greg was going to try Delrin,
but Delrin homopolymer is slightly different than other acetal resin
copolymers. They are similar, but not exactly the same.

1.) Black does not always mean poor insulating ability. It will be fine at
HF

2.) Black also does not necessarily mean better UV resistance. It generally
helps, but many white materials are good. I have white tower ropes that
outlast black rope. It really depends a great deal on the UV inhibitors and
the material. Most white nylon ropes contain UV inhibitors, for example.

If he wants to get a special grade of Delrin, 527 UV would be most UV
resistant. The little bit of carbon pigment won't hurt a thing at HF.

Greg is in New Zealand, so he will probably have to buy what is available.
Since nylon lasted a few years, the material doesn't have a high bar to
jump.

73 Tom