Topband: Genius I tells ya, pure Genius

Eddy Swynar deswynar at xplornet.ca
Wed Feb 13 08:30:47 EST 2013

On 2013-02-12, at 9:37 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> Calling DX on your dummy load means there are two dummys in the
> shack...
>
> Looks down, shuffles feet...

Hi Gary,

Don't feel so bad...

Back in the mid-70's---when my Ham buddies & I were so much younger, and indulged on a semi-regular basis in liquid refreshments that were a tad "spunkier" than your usual Dr. Pepper soft drink---I was giving a demonstration to a friend of how well my Heathkit SB-400 & Hallicrafters S-77A worked on 40-meters. Well, the "...wobbly pops" came out at about the same time as I cruised the band: signals were down somewhat, but I still managed to raise a "VE2" that was about a 559.

Upon completion of the QSO, I noticed that the antenna had been disconnected from the antenna tuner the whole time! Somehow the tuning of the transmatch allowed it to become a dummy load in & of itself---yet there was the "VE2" in the log, as large as life itself...

"...What a pity that youth is wasted upon the young...!"

~73!~ de Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ