Topband: Genius I tells ya, pure Genius

wa3mej at comcast.net wa3mej at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 19:12:14 EST 2013

On 2013-02-12, at 9:37 PM, Gary Smith wrote:

> Calling DX on your dummy load means there are two dummys in the
> shack...

In 73 I moved into an appartment that myself and WA3UEV shared. The appartment was of course owned by another local ham WA3RBE.  Back in those days I had a Central electronics 20 and didnt have much money so I used to hook a 100w light bulb to the antenna to test the output.. works pretty well (not constant impedance however) and gives nice pretty indication when power is applied.. not very quantatative or qualitative however. One day I was 20m doing that and testing the transmitter while signing my call and low and behold a G3 called me back.  I nearly fell out of the chair because 20 watts didnt work G3's very often even with an antenna.... go figure.. I think I worked several more stations with that light bulb ..

Jim WA3MEJ

Long Live Seal Team VI

http://www.qsl.net/wa3mej/index.htm