Topband: 160 vert puzzle

Shoppa, Tim tshoppa at wmata.com
Wed Jan 9 10:56:44 EST 2013

Is this all being done with the portable "antenna analyzers"? Those can be surprisingly susceptible to nearby BCB stations that are out of ham bands, but detected by the analyzer and influencing the measured numbers/curves.

These little analyzers are completely useless at my QTH (100V Pk-Pk levels at "high impedance" points. I can light a neon light bulb on modulation peaks of the local 630 kHz BCB station.)

With it being influenced by hand capacitance at the bottom I would wonder if it was FM band BCB pickup. At my location it's AM band BCB pickup and I would be surprised if hand capacitance could do that. On my bench scope, I can see the FM stations quite clearly changing level depending on hand capacitance.

Tim N3QE