Topband: CQ 160 Contest

James Rodenkirch rodenkirch_llc at msn.com
Mon Jan 28 08:31:04 EST 2013

I thought it was just me, Mike, who's been grousin' about poor conditions! I don't have exotic receive antennas so, in the context of being located in s/w Utah with a top-loaded 43' vertical and a new Ten Tec 539 QRP transceiver which I was using for my QRP entry (which I dearly loved to use - first time with a receiver that truly could filter out near by alligators): - east coast signals were noticeably weaker than in the past two CQ WW events. Some states areas, e.g. New England, were  continuosly weak. - southwest signals, particularly NM and AZ were BOOMING in here.  - mid west states, e.g., WI, IL, IN and MI were not up to par, strength wise, from years past, but more easily copyable than MN,   OH, MO and SD, for instance.- CA and OR were two states I heard consistently over the weekend but they would fade, occasionally. Never heard a WA until   Saturday evening.- Heard a couple of JAs and an HL and did get a couple of ??? from one of the JAs but, with QRP power, wasn't expecting to  work him.  Note: I did work three JAs three or four years ago but not since then. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! m 72, Jim Rodenkirch K9JWV