Topband: Rhombics

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 14:53:43 EDT 2013

Very well said, Rudy. :-)

I think rhombics were sometimes chosen for receiving, because they are a
type of wave antenna like the Beverage but with a sharper pattern. But how
the two compare, I can't say.

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com

On Fri, Jul 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM, Rudy Severns <rseverns at gmail.com> wrote:

> People tend to forget that rhombics were originally used for
> point-to-point communications with fixed azimuths and distances.  While the
> gain was nice the real utility was the broadband character of the antennas,
> especially when terminated.  This allowed the transmit/receive frequencies
> to be quickly changed as propagation along a given path varied. ...
>
> There are much better ways to get gain on 160m if you want to make the
> effort.

BTW, thanks for sharing all the research you did on ground systems. Your
work has kind of become the gold standard and the last word.