Topband: Rhombics

Rudy Severns rseverns at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 13:40:04 EDT 2013

People tend to forget that rhombics were originally used for point-to-point
communications with fixed azimuths and distances.  While the gain was nice
the real utility was the broadband character of the antennas, especially
when terminated.  This allowed the transmit/receive frequencies to be
quickly changed as propagation along a given path varied.

I used a rhombic field on Eniwetok for the path to Honolulu.  All day and
through the night we shifted frequency up and down to keep the RTTY link up.

There are much better ways to get gain on 160m if you want to make the
effort.

73, Rudy N6LF