Topband: 160M Rhombics

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Fri Jul 26 16:09:52 EDT 2013

> And that's where the term "California Kilowatt" came from. I'm told his
> rhombics were loud mostly for that reason. I forget what tubes were in his
> amp, but they sure weren't 6V6s. ;-)

When I was bumming around in the 60's, I visited some west coast stations
with large wire antennas with exceptional signals. I remember listening to
them on 160, when the power limit was 25 watts INPUT power and the W6's and
W8's had to work opposite ends of the band.

One was using marine communications shore transmitters that filled an entire
wall.  :-)