Topband: 160M Rhombics

Mike Waters mikewate at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 17:38:23 EDT 2013

Could be. Here's some photos of Don's station, FWIW:
http://www.qsl.net/ne6i/w6am/shack.html . Alpha amplifiers, and huge tall
racks that look like they might require one of those Alphas to drive them.
But who can say for sure? :-)

For whatever reason, there's what seems to be a lot of hype about W6AM's
rhombics. Such as:

"The W6AM station was legendary around the world. Don could beat you in a
pileup for some obscure African station no matter what band, and even if
you were on the east coast. And him in Southern California.

"Don was #1 on ARRL's DXCC Honor Roll, and you didn't argue. No matter
where you were, no matter what you were running, Don had beaten you in a
pileup. More than once."

Beat anyone on the east coast to Europe from California every time? I'm
sorry, but a rhombic is just not that good, even if you DO have one pointed
at every direction of the compass as W6AM did.

More info and photos:
http://www.qsl.net/ne6i/w6am/recollections.html
http://www.qsl.net/ne6i/w6am/others.html

73, Mike