Topband: Spam on the Reflector!

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 20:22:39 EDT 2013

On 06/19/2013 03:38 PM, Keith Jillings (G3OIT) wrote:
> ---snip------
>
> Yahoo's mail server was hacked a couple of weeks ago - I've had spam
> or virus e-mails from most people I know who have a Yahoo e-mail
> address. I don't know if Yahoo are acknowledging the problem yet.
>
> I spent some of last week clearing out the computers of a couple of
> ladies in our congregation, and setting them up with decent AV (Avast,
> needless to say).   The friends whose accounts were used to infect
> them were not to blame in any way - their address books were copied by
> the hackers and used to send the nasties.
>
> It's all part of the fun!
>
> Keith
> G3OIT

Hi Keith,

The thing with Yahoo is way older than 2 weeks. Once upon a time
somebody pointed out that Yahoo hackers were getting access to the
"address books" there. Those do NOT live on your computer. You have
entrusted Yahoo with them. I immediately emptied out my address books on
Yahoo and just for good measure on Gmail, too. I am just at the point of
completely abandoning Yahoo and all my friends there.

I do look at some emails that have raised suspicions but I have probably
skipped over some that had "flaky" subject fields, *NO* subject, and
certainly I look to see where a link is going to take me. So far that
has been the unfailing belwether of obnoxious messages. It only takes a
second to look. All of them are so obvious.

73,

Bill  KU8H