Topband: Problems with my DX Engineering RTR-1 receive antenna switch

GeorgeWallner aa7jv at atlanticbb.net
Wed Jun 26 08:50:21 EDT 2013

On Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:22:45 -0400
  "Mark Lunday" <mlunday at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> I am wondering what other folks do for their receive
>antennas to protect
> their rigs.

Mark,

I always add the following to my RX System:

(Loop or Beverage) Use an isolation transformer. I add a
relay at the tranformer's primary that disconnects the
wire and shorts out the transformer when the station is
off, or during transmit. A 75 V gas discharge arrester is
also across the primary (high impedance side) of the
transformer. I add common mode chokes and several turns of
coax and then ground the RX Ant coax outer braid just past
the common mode choke and also at the entrance to the
house. I have a second common mode choke and gas discharge
arrester at the antenna selector panel in the shack. I
make sure that the grounding is good.

My TX verticals' base is grounded using motorized
actuators connecting 1.5 inch wide grounding braids
whenever the station is off. Additionally, a 15,000 V
vacuum relay disconnects the antenna from the antenna
tuner.

Sounds excessive? Before I had all these measures I would
lose an RX input or parts of the antenna tuner a couple of
times a year. My QTH is in Florida and I take direct hits
a couple of times a year. I have learned these tricks the
hard way!

An absolute overkill is about the only way you have a
chance if your QTH is in a place where you get hit often.

73 and GL,

George,
AA7JV