Topband: Steady Carrier on 80 CW

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Sun Nov 3 02:46:32 EST 2013

> This is looking like somewhere near the Florida/Georgia border,
> Jacksonville, Fl to Brunswick, Ga area.

The wave angle here at 0700Z is pretty high, so that makes it either a high
angle radiator with multiple hops or fairly close (but far beyond
groundwave). This makes it difficult to be exact on heading, but a reading
just now still runs in a line from my house crossing somewhat north of
Brunswick, GA to maybe as high as Blackbeard Island. (My mapping ability is
limited, so I am just eyeballing this.) I'm reading about 2 degrees more
north of what I was earlier, now centered on about 128 degrees, again with
tolerance of several degrees because of wave angle and constant changing of
the path. This is difficult to read accurately because heading moves around.

I will see how it is around noon. I'm pretty sure it will be readable in
daylight.

One possibility is a Ham who works CW and has accidentally left his rig
locked on. The abrupt disappearance around sunset was interesting. Someone
flip a switch off for a while? I'm suspecting this is a Ham mistake.