Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorterversions??

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Tue Oct 1 08:26:58 EDT 2013

I certainly agree with Richard Fry from a pattern perspective, although my
experience with 5/8th wave antennas and other low angle tall verticals over
the past 40 years (and I have had several antennas) is that really low
angles on 160 for extended groundwave contacts or DX are utterly useless.

If you want a dog of a performer that is good for stuff within 40 miles, use
a really low angle radiator on 160, especially one that puts a null at 20-40
degrees. At about 200-220 feet height with flat ground the overall
performance of a vertical starts to take a dive.

Consequentially, at least on 160 for practical uses, NEC far field is fine.
Reaching the ionosphere at a low angle that simply uses up the energy in
losses is not a good design goal, especially when the gain is so small and
significant energy is removed from more useful angles.

Tom