Topband: FCP Folded Counterpoise

Tom W8JI w8ji at w8ji.com
Mon Oct 28 12:56:32 EDT 2013

> Thanks, but I realized that. I was just curious, because somewhere I read
> that the FCP had a slightly narrower bandwidth than a couple of elevated
> radials.
>

> Mike, The wider the bandwidth the less effective the antenna is. A good
>> xmit antenna on 160 may have a 2:1 VSWR range
>> of perhaps 30 to 40 KHz.

Actually, that statement isn't true at all. That claim is a complete
misstatement of rules. I'm surprised anyone repeats it or believes it.

Bandwidth by itself has nothing to do with efficiency or gain. We can have
antennas 5 kHz wide that have less than 1% efficiency, and antennas 500 kHz
wide that are nearly 100% efficiency.

As a matter of fact, as a ground systems get better, it is entirely possible
for the same antenna to have more bandwidth. It is, of course, possible to
do the opposite.

Why focus on something meaningless, other than describing bandwidth as an
operating convenience?

73 Tom