Topband: and KDKA

Herb Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Mon Sep 16 20:13:38 EDT 2013

What some broadcaster won't do to get a signal their market.  There is
an AM station out on pilings in Biscayne Bay or at least there once
was.  I don't know how it could have survive Hurricane Andrew if it did.
But the station and four tower array was put there to avoid interference
to a protected Cuban clear frequency and still be able to blanket
Miami.  The transmitter room was in a sealed container with positive air
pressure to keep out salt air.  Engineers would arrive each day my boat
to make the require on site inspection.  I think the power was brought
out from shore with an undersea armored HVAC three phase cable.
Remember at the time broadcasting was big business or as some in the
industry used to call it "a license to steal."  But today with all the
proliferation of FM and digital services there isn't much left for AM
except News, Sports, Talk, and Information on the market price of pork
bellies. Today anyone with a computer and an internet connection can be
an instant broadcaster and be heard world wide.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ