Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

w7dra at juno.com w7dra at juno.com
Wed Aug 13 01:06:38 EDT 2014

this brings back a lot of memories..........i arrived on rarotonga a week
after a French Dxpidition did, who was set up in the K2KW motel room with
vertical antennas on the beach just as you would imagine. the motel
management said she was sorry, and set me up in a cottage (from the same
motel) on the other side of the island for me and my venerable HW-16, now
connected to a 400 foot long wire to a 100(?) foot high palm tree. i was
across a road to the beach (75 feet from the shore?), but could on 160m
easily hear the USA 579 two hours before sunset

mike ZK1DRA (then)

yes, my HW-16 works on 160-20m