Topband: Shunt feeding tower

Herbert Schoenbohm herbs at vitelcom.net
Tue Aug 26 19:24:46 EDT 2014

Don,  Build a three or 4 wire cage around the tower from top to ground
out 24 inches #10 or 12 bar copper is fine.   A few standoff PVC or
fiberglass will lessen changes in high wind conditions. Measure the cage
to ground and build the required matching unit with the appropriate
series capatiance to tune out the measured inductive reactance and
adjust the impedence with a large diameter taped coil to ground on the
coax side of the feed. Normally it doesn't take much to have a good
working system if care is given to having at least 16 radials either on
the ground or in the ground a few inches. Also having some top loading
with a beam on top of the tower makes everything even easier.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ