Topband: Shunt feeding tower

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Wed Aug 27 09:27:49 EDT 2014

Which is the same height as the one I had in the 80's at another home. With
stacked 10-15-20 W2PV-4's it resonated somewhere around 1530 KHz if I
remember and an Omega was the only thing that worked well.

The gamma rod was 3/4" CATV hardline running thru PVC plumbing T's and pipe
then tied of to the tower. Spacing was 24" and the sweet spot to connect was
60' up.

Once I found out how poorly 60 mostly 120-130' on ground radials worked I
added 4 spokes of 4' x 50' rabbit cage wire mesh from the base and it was an
all new antenna that really kicked butt. The soil there was glacial sand
better used for mixing concrete! That tower helped win a 160M contest on the
second try, going from 600 to 1200W might have helped a bit (-;

Pretty soon others started using mesh as I was talking it up often on 160
SSB after the DX faded out on CW.

Carl
KM1H