Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle

Carl Braun Carl.Braun at lairdtech.com
Tue Feb 4 22:27:54 EST 2014

Thanks for the input Tom

The only variable cap I have is the EF Johnson which is 60-160pf. I have some ham radio stuff at my parents house not the least is a Jennings 1000pf vac variable rated at 5KV or 7.5kv. I was hoping to use that with a 12v motor for QSYing up the band for contesting. I'll have to ask mom to send it to CA in a pkg with some cookies.

When the gamma arm was at 90' I was able to add 160pf to get a resonance point around 1825 but the resistance was still high at 58-60 and X was 20++. Maybe the big vacuum cap  would bring that R and X down to where it needs to be.

ON4UNs figure 9-85 on page 9-71 of his third edition shows that a tower that is electrical 110 to 130 degrees should have a tap height around 20 meters and a matching cap of 400pf. That being said it may be a good idea to get the vac variable into service. I would assume I would want to raise the gamma arm back up to 90' as it resonated closer to 1825 than the latest iteration which shows a Fr near
1.977

Sent from my iPhone