Topband: circular polarization on 160m

Carl Luetzelschwab carlluetzelschwab at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 08:13:04 EST 2014

All,

Bah, humbug. We got another 5 inches of snow overnight. We're running out
of room to put the snow. At least I can stay inside and play on the radio.

Tom makes some good points. Two comments.

First, when I said "advantage", all I meant was there is less fading on HF
when receiving on a circularly polarized antenna. That's the common
conclusion of those "studies" that I referenced. Remember these studies are
HF (80-10m), not MF (160m).

Second, polarization is not purely random. There is more order to
polarization that we generally think due to the ionosphere being immersed
in a magnetic field. What's important is where the wave enters and
exits the ionosphere - and how well the polarization of the ordinary and
extraordinary waves that propagate thru the ionosphere couples to the
polarization of your antenna. In my mind that theory translates nicely to
the real-world. One of G2HCG's conclusions from his 10m study unwittingly
confirmed magneto-ionic theory. I don't think he was even aware of the
effect of a magnetic field on a plasma, so that makes his conclusion all
the better. Yes, the ionosphere is dynamic and varies over the short-term -
so there is some randomness imparted on the what the ionosphere dictates.
For the record, G2HCG's conclusion referenced above stated that "It was
immediately apparent that the number of hops to the ionosphere and back was
totally irrelevant. The polarization of signals must therefore be
controlled by the last hop."

I agree with Herb's comment about implementing a cp antenna on 160m -
a very tough job. The big question in my mind would be how do you separate
out the difference in vertical patterns when ground is taken into account?

Having said all the above, I still say circular polarization on 160m would
not be beneficial due to just the ordinary wave being useful.

Carl K9LA