Topband: topband noise update

Jim in Waco WB5OXQ wb5oxq_1 at grandecom.net
Tue Feb 11 21:50:06 EST 2014

Here is an update on the noise.  I now believe is is close to a 60 cycle note when using the am mode.  Also using the E1 on its whip antenna and using the d cell internal power I tracked the noise all the way down to the bottom of the lw band to 118khz which is as far down as this receiver wil go.  On the broadcast band only very strong am stations can quiet the receiver.  I also tried  a small portable am fm sw radio with a loopstick for am and the noise is there and rotating the radio never changes the signal strength so it is everywhere.  I never noticed this noise a few months ago when I would dx on the broadcast band.
Should I bother the FCC with this?  Or call the power company to see if they have an idea?  Could this be video noise from bad cable leakage?  It is just everywhere.
This is not just a ham problem but makes broadcast band listening very poor also.  At 2.5mhz WWV covers the buzz at night with a very strong signal and by 3mhz most of the noise is down to around s5 or lower.  Who knows what other services could be bothered.  Could this be noise from the smart electric meters?  I am not sure how they communicate but I would expect the frequency to be much higher.  I know every few blocks there is a box on the utility poles with a upside  down antenna which looks like a center loaded 800mhz type.  I am really upset that I cannot enjoy radio anymore when I am home at night..
WB5OXQ.