Topband: Yikes! Heavy snow, freezing fog and 23 degrees F in Raleigh, NC

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Wed Feb 12 18:18:43 EST 2014

Yes, Bruce, that's what happened to the 2000 ft WRAL-TV tower here some
years back. They said that chunks of ice were coming off those gu y wires to
the south the size of refrigerators.  The unequal loading on the tower and
the vibration of the guys was just too much and the whole structure failed!
I was driving up to Raleigh from Smithfield on Highway 70 the next morning -
and what a shock! There was no 2000 ft tower over there beside 70!  Un
believable!!

73.
Charlie, K4OTV