Topband: Palomar R-X Noise Bridge

Carl km1h at jeremy.mv.com
Fri Feb 14 13:55:56 EST 2014

----- Original Message -----
From: <donovanf at starpower.net>
To: <topband at contesting.com>
Sent: Friday, February 14, 2014 11:42 AM
Subject: Re: Topband: Palomar R-X Noise Bridge

> Null depth is a function of cable loss.

** Yup

> Heliax produces the deepest null, small diameter coax (RG-59, RG-58) is
> quite poor

** The highest VF and lowest loss produces the deepest null but also the
least deep null bandwidth due to the higher Q. I used CATV RG-11 for my
stubs and could get a good 25 dB+ null compared to about 12dB for RG-58. I
had to add pieces for CW contests on some bands.
The 25dB was sufficient to operate on any other band and put the TX phase
noise in the noise.

Carl
KM1H