Topband: Radials - open ended or tied together in a gridqrrtangement??

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sat Feb 15 12:43:24 EST 2014

Jim,

Think of  a cage connection rather than a single wire to a shunt fed tower
and its benefit.  The cage larger diameter causes an impedance change and
also makes it  a more broad-banded  fat conductor.
Benefits of a in ground grid have been established. A partial grid connected
to radials already in place would not be a negative. Antennas that are fat
the entire length have a lower Q, lower impedance at the far end, and are
wider in frequency.

I think of my in ground  radial system  system in a similar fashion.

My ground radial system has a perimeter wire and has worked well. Working in
the DX contest this weekend on 160 meters with 100 watts. Only a few request
for a call repeat.
The best benefit of a perimeter wire :  ... It allows each wire to be
individually disconnected at the tower base. The disconnected wire can be
checked with an ohmmeter against the remaining radials to
confirm continuity.  I check them every few years, and  pull any broken
wires up to splice or replace.

73
Bruce-K1FZ
www.qsl.net/k1fz/beveragenotes.html