Topband: Update from AG6X shunt feed project

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 16 10:37:37 EST 2014

Wow!, that's perfect, Carl!! That should result in better than 1.2:1 load
VSWR!!  No wonder you see a "flat" line at the transmitter end!  Looks like
either 90' or 67' would be good tap points, but 67' is better!  Can't do
much better than 42 ohms feed-point resistance!

If you're seeing a flat line from 1800-1850 that's pretty good bandwidth!!

I'm not sure how much you might gain by adding additional gamma wires, The
loss in 67' of 14 ga wire can't be that great! The impedance of your gamma
may decrease with the additional wires, requiring a larger capacitor to tune
it!  There's a lot to be said for  "If it ain't broke -don't fix lt"!

Regarding the gamma capacitor - if I did my quick "back of the envelope"
'rithmatic right, the 140 pf of capacitance should have about 36.2 ohms of
capacitive reactance at 1.8 MHz. Now, if you are delivering 1500 watts of RF
into a 42 ohm load, that's a little less than 6 amps RMS of RF current.
That would result in an RMS voltage of about 220 volts across the 140 pF, or
about 330 volts peak.  So your 4500 volt Cardwell should have no problems
dealing with it.  No need to use your vacuum variable!

If you add additional gamma wires, you  may need something a bit larger than
your 160 pF capacitor, but the voltage requirements wouldn't increase
significantly, if at all.  Of course whatever capacitor you use, you, of
course, need to protect it from moisture, insects etc.

Sounds like you have it working well, and you can concentrate on workin' on
your radial field. Of course, as you improve the radials, you may see that
42 ohm resistance drop a little and your BW decrease as you reduce the
ground losses and the Q of you antenna system increases! I've had that
experience in the past.

Anyway, Carl, sounds like you  have it playing pretty well!  Have fun!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV