Topband: Low band noise

Brian Miller brianmiller at xtra.co.nz
Fri Feb 21 17:46:42 EST 2014

Hi Bruce et al

Radiated noise from a new wind farm eventually forced us to close down and
exit the ZL6QH contest station. A detailed report on the noise levels is
available at
http://www.zl6qh.com/rf-noise-measurements-quartz-hill-2009-v3.pdf .

The ZL6QH wind farm used Siemens 2.3 MW variable speed turbines. We believe
the noise was generated by the water cooled electronic power converter
technology that was used to convert the variable output of each turbine to
the fixed voltage and frequency of the national grid.

Our observations suggested that an HF contest station would have be located
at least several km from the wind farm to reduce the interference to an
acceptable level on the low frequency bands.

73

Brian VK3MI ZL1AZE

Message: 1