Topband: Not so ood in the contest last night

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sun Feb 23 12:42:00 EST 2014

On 2/23/2014 8:51 AM, Bruce Whitney wrote:
> Joe,
> I am afraid you are a victim of your own false assumptions. The W1AW/8   Operations on 160 are not at a single station. The SLAARC ops were only on during part of the CQWW160 SSB and were "hearing" pretty well. 939 Q's, 52 SP's, & 19 Countries. Of course, I have never met a 160m op that wouldn't want to hear better.....
> 73, Bruce W8RA

I easily worked W1AW/8 last night (whoever they were) but
they were unable to copy numerous other W6's who
were calling.  They said they had several very
directional receiving antennas which don't hear
off the back.  After I told them to listen for
California, the found the right receive antenna
and worked 1 station.  However, even with me
playing net control, they couldn't copy the other
W6's.   BTW, W1AW's signal was excellent here
on the coast.  This contest especially points
out the huge difference in signal levels between
the big stations and the casual stations.  And
why its all about receiving.   I am going to
focus 160 meter antenna work this summer on
receive antennas rather than transmit antennas.

As far as lousy conditions are concerned, I will
say that C6ANA and HK1NA called me when I was
running, around 0730Z.  They were better copy
than many W6's I pulled out of the noise.

Rick N6RK