Topband: SUCCESS! Re:Control cable black conductors

Dave G4GED radiodave.g4ged at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 24 15:23:12 EST 2014

> WOW! thanks for all the advice guys.
Lots of suggestions...
Coca cola, Viakal, Phosphoric acid, Lime scale remover, white vinegar,
Tarn-X...

Well I didn't have the other formulas to-hand but always have plenty of
Coca Cola!
Soaking the conductor-ends overnight in Coke did the trick. All copper
bright and shiny next morning!
Gave them all a good wipe with a cloth, a wipe with a flux pen and they
soldered beautifully.

Thanks again :-)
Dave

On 22/02/2014 10:15, Dave G4GED wrote:
> --------------------------------------
I'm trying to splice a damaged (rodents) RX ant control cable.
> It has 7 insulated, stranded copper conductors all inside a PVC jacket.
> Problem is, when stripped of their insulation, 3 (black, brown and
> green), of the copper conductors have become coated in a black film?
> So to effect jointing and soldering, require cleaning.
> Could anyone tell me why some insulated copper conductors turn black
> in this way and whether there's a better way of cleaning it off.
>
> ---
> protection is active.

---