Topband: on the webcam issue

Bill Cromwell wrcromwell at gmail.com
Thu Jan 2 21:45:49 EST 2014

On 01/02/2014 08:40 PM, w7dra at juno.com wrote:
> I have gone to about 800 with a J38 doing a SOSB40 as ZK1DRA, it is not
> the sending but just getting tired in general that gets me.........
>
> this STEW was awful, i was using a home made key out of a board and a
> piece of plexiglass and you really had to work at tyi to send CW......but
> i decided to go home brew all the way..........
>
> mike w7dra

I have noticed that some hams use keys that are are virtual heavy duty
pump handles! No wonder they get a glass arm. At Field Day once a fellow
came along where I was operating CW on 80 meters and commented on the
straight key I was using (the same one I still use). He said he hadn't
used one in several years. I got up and invited him to use it. He
immediately flipped it over upside down with just one go - Tiddly-Wink
style. My key has a light touch and a short stroke. I have never been
fatigued using it. That guy had been accustomed to sledge hammer blows
to operate a straight key <evil grin>. No wonder he went to SSB!

Yes. This Stew was awful. I called a lot of stations and got skunked! I
was able to work at least *some* stations before I *improved* my antenna
<evil grin>. Maybe I zigged when I should have zagged.

73,

Bill  KU8H