Topband: Nostalgic "openings"

Bruce k1fz at myfairpoint.net
Sat Jan 18 20:48:04 EST 2014

There was a article in the June 1953 QST Page 47,  that used a BC-457 as a
high level mixer into the 1625's to get on 40 meter SSB  from  4 MHZ. On
Page 47 there is a diagram for the W2JJC SSB exciter using a half lattice
crystal network.  A group picture at the bottom page 47 shows SSB operators
from all W call areas. Part of the caption  "A stranger in the back of the
camera is explaining why he thinks s.s.b. isn't here to stay."

My first SSB transmitter was built from an article called "An Imp". only
remember making only one local contact with it. Then I found a schematic of
a Hallicrafters HT-32. I home built one but reversed the VFO and sideband
frequencies so I could use a McCoy 9 MHZ SSB filter. Could heterodyne 9 and
5 MHz to get 80 and 20 meters. Used another mixer to get other bands.
Lots of fun. The AM phone guys called us Donald Duckers... Lot of quack
quack noise.

73
Bruce
www.qsl.net/k1fz/beveragenotes.html