Topband: Nostalgic "openings"

Charlie Cunningham charlie-cunningham at nc.rr.com
Sun Jan 19 00:25:22 EST 2014

Hi, Bruce

Yes, I remember "The IMP - A 3 Tube Filter Rig" by Joe Galeski, W4IMP!
Wanted to build one, but by then I was designing and building my own rigs,
and home-brewing my own back-to-back double half-lattice crystal filters,
while working my way through college as a technician/junior engineer in a
radio plant. I built one crystal filter from 2105 KHz crystals that were
used as the 2nd L.O in a citizens-band transceiver that we manufactured.
They wre  used to convert the 1650 KHz first IF to 455 KHz. I opened up the
HC-6 crystal cans and very carefully loaded and matched a couple of the 2105
crystal a bit lower in frequency wth with tiny bits of solder to pruduce an
SSB- width double 1/2 lattice filter that I built an SSB rig  aound that I
used for a while with my NC-109 receiver.

Wow, home-brewing an HT-32 must have been quite a project!!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV